As discussed on the show today, James Harden’s defense against the Los Angeles Clippers’ various shooting guards was pretty poor. And by “pretty poor,” I mean that you could have scored on him if you made the right cut when he wasn’t looking.

So shoutout to the internet for making this compilation of James Harden’s defensive fails, so that we can all see what exactly went wrong for the Rockets last night. Because that guy that’s open underneath the basket, that’s James Harden’s man. And that guy that’s by himself in the corner? That’s also James Harden’s man. Oh, and that guy going to the rim with minimal resistance, I could have sworn James Harden was guarding him a second ago.

The good thing about this, however, is that it shows just how easy of a fix this is for the Rockets. Basically all they need to do is tell James Harden to remember that he’s guarding a guy at least sometimes — preferably all the time, but let’s start slow — and to maybe not let him just walk to the basket. Clean those minor things up, and it’s smooth sailing from here on out.

(via Reddit)

8 Responses to “Video: James Harden is bad at guardin’”

1. Darrell says:

Isn’t this the same guy that everyone says is better than Dwyane Wade? ESPN, NBA-Rank TOP 5? Really?

2. @Jay_Lamberto says:

Hard to say if it’s lack of effort sometimes. Seems like he just doesn’t know what to do on some of these plays.

3. Kyle says:

His footwork is what gets him in at least half of these…he’s standing flat footed and usually isn’t square between his man and the basket at the start of the play, so he’s behind the action almost from the start.

4. HamJam says:

Harden is a negative defender typically, but this was just atrocious. I am a Rockets fan, and I could barely watch this game because of how frustrating he in particular was making me. Just when you thought the Rockets were coming back, Harden’s man would score without resistance.

You know, Harden is from LA, and I think he was just hung over or something. I think he came home, partied too hard and played like crap.

If I drank heavily, got two hours of sleep and partied all night and then tried to play basketball — well, I would play inexcusably bad. Like James Harden did last night.

5. Eric says:

I like how he claps his hands together after every opponent make as if to say, “Damn, and I played him tight, too”. Dude better be careful, he’s looking like Carmelo – only interested in offense. Enough seasons of that and his “star” status will be laughable just like Carmelo’s.

6. Beau says:

James Harden’s defense is the new David Lee defense

7. gavin says:

If you can’t find him, just look for the guy standing by himself.

8. BMAN24 says:

*CLAP CLAP* “Oh shit!” – James Haren (no ‘D’).